Will 3D Printing Change the World?

Much attention has been paid to 3D Printing lately, with new companies developing cheaper and more efficient consumer models that have wowed the tech community. They herald 3D Printing as a revolutionary and disruptive technology, but how will these printers truly affect our society? Beyond an initial novelty, 3D Printing could have a game-changing impact on consumer culture, copyright and patent law, and even the very concept of scarcity on which our economy is based.

From at-home repairs to new businesses, from medical to ecological developments, 3D Printing has an undeniably wide range of possibilities which could profoundly change our world.

11 comments

1. EthanNin0 5 years ago

Now all we need is houshold LADAR scanning so we don’t have to cad things not available on the cloud.

Like Dislike
  2. mixxproduction 5 years ago

Lego will go out of business

Like Dislike
  3. MysticSteph 5 years ago

Makes me even more glad to actually be studying 3D in college lol

Like Dislike
  4. 5 years ago

Has anyone heard the recent news on England printing stem cells? I think it’s fascinating for the potential 3d printing will have in the medical world. The only thing that really concerns me is the artistic side. I believe that there is a certain emotion that is felt when someone creates something out of his or her own hands. When the struggle and finesse is taken away and all can be done through printing, the emotion will become synthetic. The true feeling will be lost.

Like Dislike
  5. TheAsianified 5 years ago

I’m understanding the idea of designs on the computers, but I’m too lazy to Google right now. Can someone tell me how the printers finely make specific items from materials? Like, do they use a gel, a clay, paints? And what about metal or wood works? Food? I’m curious but lazy here

Like Dislike
  6. 5 years ago

Oh man how is the machining industry (as well as a lot of other trades jobs like carpentry) going to react to this ‘~’ ?

Like Dislike
  7. 5 years ago

Part of me is afraid that when they talk about products so openly like this on the net some corporate bigwigs are out there watching this and all the while scheming about some way 2 c—- this up 4 all of us 🙁 .Anyways I really wonder what kind of a material a household 3-D printer would handle.It’s not like it would be able to print on steel girders would it?.

Like Dislike
  8. illwillpress11 5 years ago

Future!!!

Like Dislike
  9. 5 years ago

Alright. Not quite a Star Trek replicator. But this will have to do for now.

Like Dislike
  10. 5 years ago

they already have printed livers

Like Dislike